Monday, June 23, 2008

Hard work, A lot of fun, Amazing skaters, and Christian Serika!

When a lot of people here the word SKATEBOARDING they imagine a board, riding down the street. After watching a Concrete Rodeo Event, you will never think of skating the same way. On both Saturday and Sunday I helped my Dad run the Concrete Rodeo Skate Tour. I was amazing. I have been doing this for about three years, and i have to admit, its what I look forward to the most. Let me tell you all about it, cause I know none of you were there (tee hee, i had to throw in some guilt)

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:15 a.m. I got dressed in my skull shirt and plaid shorts, pulled my hair up into a high, tight pony tail and got into the our ginat white truck. My Mom and Dad were sitting in the front seats leaving me in the back. I was in the middle, Anthony to my left and Gabrielle to my right. The ride was only about an hour and a half but sitting in the middle of two sleeping snoring people made it seem oh so much longer. We arrived at the Logan skatepark. Without being asked what to do (cause by now we all knew the drill) We unloaded the back of the truck, which was packed high tide with stereos, tables, prizes, and other equippment. After the tent was set up and everything was good to go, I got registration ready. Im in charge of registration. Every boy who walks up to the tent gives me $25 and his phone number (okay so i get all his information and insurence and then i give him a shirt for entering but it sounds cooler when guys are just paying me and giving me their numbers...right?) Registration closed at 10:30, leaving us with 55 entries. We typed them into the computer, generated a random start list, and started the event. We were short on judges ( cause we just get them from local skate shops and such. Sometimes they dont show up at all or are drunk and suffering from a hang over) so Anthony had to announce and judge and my Dad had to judge. It was alright. Anthony is not the best announcer because he trys to call tricks he doesnt know at all, or he will like make tricks up. (For example he said something like a lip slide bonless-there is no possible way to do that- your board would be all which ways. Or he wold call a hand plant a melon something. I dont know, but it really annoyed me.) So let me just give the heads up about these events. Every competitor gets two one minuet runs (i know a minuet doesnt seem long but when you are the one skating it could be the longest minuet of your life.) Then after everyone ha taken their two runs (which decide age group prizes) the top 16 get to joust for 1st 2nd and 3rd. (Joust-head to head compotition, two people skating at the same time, person with the better run moves on.) So rewind. After a skater does a run the judges fill out score sheets. Then my sister Gabrielle runs over, takes the sheets, staples them all together and gives it to me. I then type the score into the computer giving me the final score. I have my own microphone which I announce the score. Its pretty awesome (Score for Logan Winkelaar 70.3, 70.3) The event went well as a whole, and Logan is a great skatepark. It was extremly hot though. I was sweating so bad and all i had to do was sit under a tent. We gave out awards, packed up, and were out of the park at 7:00. When we reached SLC we went to storage to pack up the truck with the additional stuff needed for the next days event. We had dinner at Taco Time (eww) Oh and may i add that Staurday was the first day of summer, the longest day of the year and GO SKATEBOARDING DAY!

The next days event was pretty much the same. I woke up at 6:00 instead because the Layton skate park only took a half an hour to get to. We set up blah blah. The best park though was when Christian Serika came to register! Christian is my giant crush. I have liked him since the moment i saw him. He is amazingly good looking and a really good skater. He is always nice. AHH. See he is short, he is 19 (but age dont really matter to me) but i love him. He came to the event which just made my heart soar. AHH. The event went well. But it wasnt our best, becasue the judges were choosing favorites and the people i felt should have won didnt. I dont know. But My Dad announced which makes the event go faster and everyone has fun (Oh if they got any closer they would be married) I only truly screwed up on announcing one kids name: Thats a funny story. So this kid comes up to the tent and says "Whats my score" "Who are you" "Tristian Cooper- remember you messed up on my namewhen announcing it (he giggled)" " Oh yeah sorry about that" "Oh its fine. I have never been called Trishtian before. It was really funny" "Thats what im here for, to entrain you guys by runining your names, Im not the best with pronouncing them" "Then why did they give you the microphone" "Who the hell knows" " Ha Ha no i like when you announce, you sound cool on it" "Thanks, your score was 50.7" "Thank you"......ha ha i know funny stuff. I also had some kid come p to me and say "Audrey what is my score?" I had no idea what his name was until he told me and i had only seen him once at registration. It was pretty awesome how poeple know me! We finnished the event and cleaned up. Drove back to SLC and went to Chipolate. YUM!

They were alot of fun. Stop 22 and 23. Only about 20 more events to go. The next Utah on is Friday June 27, 2008 in South Jordan at the SOJO Skate park. It wil be pretty amazing. Check it out.

Until Next time. See Ya!

1 comment:

Hypatia said...

I love your blog