Monday, December 19, 2011

all packed up.



I sit in my hotel room on the left side of the bed. It is quiet, except for the occasional Asian tourist laughing in the room next to mine. Against the wall are four bags (two checked, two carry on… I know you were worried Father) all packed and eagerly awaiting tomorrow for they get to get tossed around and lugged without love from airplane to airplane. My travel outfit is set out by the mirror. It includes a lot of black and two mismatching toe socks. My hair is braided tightly in a fishtail braid and my nails are painted with all that was left in the nail polish jars. I am ready to go home.



Italy has been an amazing experience and I know I have said this time and time again, but I am incredibly lucky to have been able to live in such an amazing city. I met amazing people, including my talented professors, sweet overflowing with creativity Melania, quirky yet smart Charles, and my dear roommates Joanna and Rachel. I have laughed hard, learned so much, traveled on my own, and gained confidence in myself.

You know how I love my lists, here are a few memories:

·      Charles picking me up at the airport with no enthusiasm and whispering in taxi
·      Linda talking about “muskles” and “cazzels”
·      Phase ten/Uno rounds for hours wherever Joanna and I could find a place to deal them out
·      Playing old maid with jumpy stoned guys on the steps of Santa Croce
·      Going to Castiglione del Lago on the wrong train
·      Joanna slithering off the chair to get me to take her shoes off
·      Colorado
·      Rachel’s computer and our confusion on why she could not type
·      The little party where boys and cigarettes just kept walking through the door
·      Long walks around the city at night
·      Pino’s Sandwiches
·      Rachel’s bed time stories
·      Kebabs
·      Felix and Isabella
·      The break dancers
·      Dance parties in the darkroom
·      So You Think You Can Dance
·      Eating too much pasta every time
·      Thanksgiving dinner on our own
·      Spending five hours developing pictures
·      Catch phrase
·      Vasari’s Birthday Party
·      Reading in the bath tub
·      The sexy lights
·      Movie parties
·      Trying to ride a one person bike with two
·      Nicola
·      Yogurt mixes for breakfast everyday
·      Smelling everything for the first time
·      Making deals in San Lorenzo’s market
·      Toes socks and dollar stores
·      Learning all about Gossip Girl from Charles
·      All these Italian stairs
·      Jarman movies
·      CafĂ© Mario secret meetings
·      Traveling to different cities by myself
·      Gelato
·      Carrot juice and how I always seemed to have it in my hands when the scariest part of the movie comes on
·      Being called homeless by the lady at the front desk who thinks that after I leave this hotel I am going to go live under the Ponte Vecchio

I could go on for hours but I think that is enough for now. All I am saying is I had an amazing time. : )

Tomorrow at 6:35 a.m. I will be on my way home. See you in twenty-three hours Salt Lake City.

Verbaledudette’s Gift Guide Number Nineteen: Palomar’s Crumpled City Maps



From someone who is terrible with direction, I think this is a fun way to hint to whomever you are giving this gift to are directionally challenged. This gift is creative, fun, unique, and can be used as a blanket if you get cold while you are lost.

Where to find this: http://www.palomarweb.com/web/prodotti/crumpled-city
Price: About $10.00

And if any of you do not know what to get me, here is a little last minute gift that will make me love you forever if you get it for me:


Goodnight Readers, Goodnight Italy.
xoxo

1 comment:

ellie said...

Hope you are home now. Sweet farewell post. Loved the descriptions in the first paragraph.