Sunday, September 9, 2012

meal plan.

Oops. I forgot to add this detail. 

A lot of people (okay, just my Dad) have asked me how the food is at the Cafes and Restaurants here.

I call them fancy names because they are not like your usual school cafeterias. There are five or six different locations that you can go to, any meal plan works in all of them. 

mac and cheese, green beans,
and a mixed green salad
with light caesar dressing.
You walk in, and the "hostess" scans your i.d. card which allows you into food land. Each night (in the smaller ones, not the main) there is a specialty meal - usually with a theme. For example, tonight at the Pine Cafe, it was italian with different pastas and paninis. If you don't want this, or you want more than just this, you can order off the "grill menu" which is your typical burgers, chicken fingers, quesadillas, french fries, or club type sandwiches - the generics. There is always a large salad bar, fruit or some sort, pizza, toast, cereal, and a dessert that changes each night. Full line of sodas, juices, and water that has floating citrus in it. You are allowed to eat as much and whatever you want. 

The catch is that you cannot take any of it home, which is okay. My roommates have found away to sneak desserts (Phoebe always takes a cookie or brownie for the road,) strawberry cream cheese (Emme loves this. They do not have it in New Zealand and she thinks it's the best thing ever) and even a burger (Kayleigh stuffed it into a hand bag.) You do not really need to take anything home, it's just more of a challenge if you can. Ha. 

One thing that can be taken out is a box lunch. You can go online the night before and ordered a lunch that includes a sandwich, chips, fruit, and dessert. It is like a sac lunch for home for those busy days when you do not know when you will find time between classes for a meal. I love this idea. Such a classy school, let me tell you. 

The food itself is absolutely delicious and fresh. I have eaten incredibly healthy and felt satisfied after every meal. I have not had anything I did not like (except for this weird lettuce that was in my mixed greens salad... it had a sharp flavor - but i ate it anyway!) 

It is not nearly as good as your cooking Mother, Father, and Sister - but it is keeping me energized until I get to eat your wonderful home cooked meals when I get home. 

I also have this thing that comes with the meal plan called Knight Cash. This is like a credit card that works at the vending machines around campus, Arts Cafe (hosted by my school) which is like a coffee shop, but also many restaurants and cafes around the city accept it. I love this idea, because it gets you out in the city and you can go out and eat local. 

Now that I have made you hungry at midnight, I hope you sleep well and dream of tasty treats. 

No comments: