Tuesday, September 18, 2012

it's as simple as it should be

Good news, the internet is fixed and faster than it has been at HoBro for years. Who knew that loosing the Internet over the weekend after the first week of school could be so detrimental. Suddenly we were forced to get to know our surroundings, travel to foreign wifi spots, live in our city outside of the doors. Please, someone tell me why we were all complaining again?

Second week of school has been nothing but two days of excitement. We are actually starting projects now. We are actually doing photography. I am stoked.

In my digital photo class we learned how to shoot completly on maual. Now, give me some credit, I have experimented, but I never knew how to really control my camera on every level. Chaning aperature, shutter speed, and ISO all at the same time - even focusing! Our assignment was simple this week. We get to shoot three scenes that describe our lives at home, where we live, our environment. A total of nine shots will be turned in, because each image is bracketed. (For those of you who do not know what bracketing is, it is when you take an image with the correct lighting - the perfect exposure. Then you take the same image underexposed and over exposed.) So far, I have taken a photograph of my books all stacked with a camera on top and the view into the ally way from a window. My final photograph is going to be my three roommates. I am excited for critique.

Today I had fundamentals of photography (aka cute teacher class.) This is my favorite. The class is so lively and fun. It is small and creative. I actually enjoy waking up really early to go to this freezing class. The assignment is an on going project over four weeks. The idea is to take twenty photographs of the same object in different ways. From that we will choose our four best photographs. I love a challenge with open ends. You can do anything as long as your object never changes positions. I am thinking of documenting a dock down by the bridge. A few close ups, a few long exposures, the works. The whole assignments have to be in black and white - which is my favorite to shoot. Also it is all raw imaging - no edits, no photoshop. I love that.

I just had to catch you up quickly before I go back to studying. : )


xoxo

No comments: