Wednesday, September 12, 2012

that awkward moment when your new friend turns out to be your teacher

I was walking to my first day of Fundamentals of Photography today. It is just around the corner and up the hill. According to Google maps it only takes three minutes, but I can do it in two. The XX's new album Coexist played through my gold (ballin') ear buds. I was feeling fly. I was feeling good. The air was cold and I was in a sweater. The wind was blowing and my hair was blowing in it. I did not stab myself with a make up brush earlier. I just knew it was going to be a good day.

Walking down the the hill coming from the other direction was this averagely cute looking boy dressed in kind of skinny slacks and a great plaid shirt. My first instinct was "he looks like someone I should get to know." He turned into the building I was heading to. I followed in shortly after to find him standing in the lobby checking the list to see what room the classes were in. I started to look for mine. The conversation that followed went something like this:

Boy: "What class are you looking for?"
Girl: "Fundamentals of Photography"
Boy: "Me too!. Ph100?"
Girl: "Yeah, I think it is in room 200."
Boy: "Sweet, Yeah, that looks like mine too. Well I will see you there!" (Big smile.)
Girl: "Sounds good" (Cute smile.. cause that is what I do."

I headed up to class and sat at a table in the second row with an empty seat next to me to ensure that not only did my new friend see me, but would have the opportunity to sit next to me where we would continue to converse in small talk and eventually become friends that hung out and go to movies and drink coffee and listen to hipster music while we talk about how much we love photography. I wasn't looking for a boyfriend. I just wanted a friend that didn't come with boobs and drama.

A few minutes later my friend showed up.

Instead of putting his bag on my table, he placed in on the desk in front of the room. You know, the desk meant for the professor. The words that came out of his mouth in the next second confirmed that this boy was actually a man. "

Hey, looks like everyone is here. Welcome to PH 100. My name is Tim."

This is Tim (and who I think might be his wife.) I
 apologize for the poor quality of images. Stalking does have  it's down sides. 


And that man was actually my teacher.

God. Don't you love Google. 
I probably let out the biggest smile possible.

 Of course my new friend would not be my friend but would be my fundamentally-knowledgeable-married-taco-eating-costa-rico-traveling-photography-teacher.

It was like that movie moment where the girl is sitting in class and the teacher comes in and she knows him from a past life moment and it is either incredibly awkward or really funny. Except it was not like that at all, but kind of. You get the point.

Anyways, other than befriending my teacher, I think I am really going to like this class. We actually get to print out our work and show it off. I feel like it is a really positive class and everyone is excited to  be there. It is all girls, except for one boy who wants to do mens fashion photography. (I think he has many best friends.. inside joke. Only few will laugh, sorry the rest of you are left out.)

All i can say is History of Photography - you better kill it hard tomorrow because the passed two days have kicked some serious ass in classes and teachers.



No comments: