Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Temper Trap Tuesday


I feel so good right now.

Everything in my life is perfect.

       This morning, I woke up and practically danced out of bed before my alarm clock went off. This does not usually happen. My breakfast of yogurt and carrot juice tasted extra delicious and “Caring is Creepy” by the Shins narrated my walk to school.

       In art history, we took a field trip to a museum where Linda (my professor) raced us up and down and around every floor. This did not take as long as she had planned, so of course, she took us to two other museums and quickly gave us a tour of her favorite pieces. It was fun, but I am beginning to learn that my four-foot tall professor has more energy than a toddler.

       I ate a kebab for lunch with Rachel. It was jaw dripping delectable.

       Photography came and I was pumped to develop my nine rolls of film. I cranked through the first three, loaded and began developing the second set of three and finished that by four thirty (three hours later.) I did not have time (or the energy) to develop my last three rolls, but what I did develop got my little photography heart beating with happiness. I think I finally got the hang of developing film, for there were no watermarks and the negatives were perfect! The only bummer of the class was my new negative holders do not fit in my made-only-for-Italian-four-holed-extra-long-paper binder. Oh well, there are more important things to be sad about.

       While waiting for my film to dry, I checked my email where my cute Mother had updated me that my family (John and Kara) went to the hospital because Kara’s baby was going to be induced! Yahoo! I am wishing you two all my love that it is a healthy birth of a beautiful baby. I am so excited! I will update you when the birth is official! I love you John and Kara!

       The air smelled thick with fall leaves and the preparation of four course meals, as I walked home from class. The sun had already set when I exited the building, but left just enough light that the street lamps had not been lit.

       My day was completed with a little a pile of letters all with my name on them! I received a package from my Mother & Father that contained the newspaper of the Academy of Art University in San Francisco (the school I desperately want to go to after I get home from here,) a letter from my sister, Gabrielle (which also had little surprises in it including her pudding cup lid (don’t worry, it was cleanly licked) and an autographed picture of a band she saw,) a sweet letter from my dancer/twin Audrey Marshall, and an adorable letter from Sarah Ashworth. They made my day! Thank you!

       ALSO, big news in the Italian world: their prime minister since 2001, Berlusconi, has officially retired and Mario Monti is his new replacement. This is a really big deal and the Italian people are excited. I am living a huge moment of Italian history. Everything is going to change for the country now and hopefully for the best! This picture is of him. He looks like a fine Italian. 



       I hope you enjoyed Mac Miller yesterday, but today we are going to switch gears to a more alternative artist because it is The Temper Trap Tuesday! You are right my friends, today I am going to share with you one of my favorite artists, The Temper Trap. I discovered this band after their song “Sweet Disposition” was used in my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie 500 Days of Summer. 

       The Temper Trap is an Australian indie rock band formed in 2005. The band includes the ever so talented Jonathon Aherne on bass guitar and vocals, the erythematic Toby Dundas on drums and programming, the simple Dougy Mandagi on vocals and guitar, and the multitasked Lorenzo Sillitto on guitar, keyboards and vocals.



       In 2008, the group relocated from Melbourne to London for reasons I do not know. Maybe they just liked English chicks better, then again, they do sound a bit more English. I would never have guessed Australia as their homeland.

       The band released their debut album Conditions in June 2009 which gained instant favorable reviews and commercial success.

       It jumped to number nine on the ARIA Albums Chart and into the top 30 on the UK Albums Chart within months. "Sweet Disposition", peaked in the top 10 on the Belgian, Irish and UK Singles Charts and reached number fourteen on the ARIA Singles Chart. At the ARIA Music Awards of 2010 in November, The Temper Trap won 'Best Group' for their album Conditions and 'Most Popular Australian Single' for "Sweet Disposition." 

       To me, their songs are a mix between Mika and Scissor Sisters, with a dash of Mumford and Sons. They have a juicy sweet sound with high tenors against thick drums. It is addicting.

       Enjoy a few of their tracks from the album “Conditions:” 

Sweet Disposition

Love Lost

Fools

Down River

Resurrection

       If you have a favorite band that you think the world (or at least the readers of Verbaledudette) needs to hear, leave it in a comment. I love hearing about new music. Have a good night! xoxo

No comments: