Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I put the blue EYES in EYE witness.

(I will admit the title of this post was a fail. I was trying to be creative while not only making a reference to my eyes and being an eye witness, which the post is about, but also trying to make the EYE part look like two EYES. Oh well. You get the point. Brownie points for effort?)

It was a beautiful Wednesday morning. The sky blue with a touch of white paint. Birds tweeted happy songs like "Rockin' in the Treetops." I was walking to the grocery store, because my refrigerator looked completely bare and was growling out of hunger for food.

I had my ipod playing loud through my skull when I heard a shouting noise. Now this yelling was loud enough for me to hear it clearly even while listening to music, so it was obviously REALLY loud. I looked ahead and there was a couple arguing. The kind of argument that you know was leading to a break up. The man was getting really close to the woman, so she pushed him away gently. This set him off. He shoved her against the wall. She regained composure and can back to him hitting him, but not doing any damage. Tears pouring through her eyes as their voices grew louder and harsher. He pushed her to the ground so hard you could hear her head thud against the pavement.

The neighborhood was empty, but I knew someone needed to stop him.

I also knew I could not do it.

 I tapped on the window of a near by book shop and motioned for the man to come out. He came out and immediately ran to the couple. He separated it while his friend called for help. Immediately the Cabaneri pulled around the corner. Now the Cabaneri is like the military of the Italian government. These guys were big with large guns hanging from their belts. They asked me to stay as a witness, so I did. Then they hand cuffed the guy and put him in the car. The woman was given an ice pack for her head and directed to a vehicle in non aggressive manner, being comforted by these giant military teddy bears. I stood there with the guy who I had called over, they asked him a few questions, then they asked me if the story the woman have given was correct to what i saw (the story was the were arguing, he pushed her etc.) and I said yes.  He thanked me and I was excused. The guy who had separated shook my hand and we kind of laughed the situation off. I walked away with the feeling of being a savior!

I can see the headlines now "American student saves woman from being brutally beaten by her soon to be ex husband after a heated argument about how cold the apartment was!" Then there would be a picture of my face and praises to the brave girl who did nothing but direct help to the situation.

That was my Firenze drama for the day.  : )

No comments: