Friday, November 18, 2011

Fanfarlo Friday


As Rihanna so proudly sings “cheers to the freakin’ weekend,” I would like to wish you all a happy Friday. It is nearing five o’clock over here in the chilly city of Firenze and the sun has already begun to set. 

Today was productive for me in the sense that I went to school. I had cinema this morning where we watched Mamma Roma. The actress who played the “Mamma” was brilliant and quite a joy to watch. I would suggest it for your late Friday night movie tonight. After that we had, excuse me- we got to, make up a Italian class that we did not have on Monday. If you think Italian is hard on a Monday or Wednesday, you have not tried a Friday afternoon. Goodness. Obviously, I survived. This weekend holds no extravagant plans, except I plan on taking five rolls of film and at least ten REALLY GOOD digital photographs for my final projects.
And now for Fanfarlo Friday! 
The London pop/indie rock/alternative/folk/post punk band, Fanfarlo, was formed in 2006 by the Swedish musician Simon Balthazar (& Giles J Davis, but I do not count him because he quit the band before they released their first single.) Today, the band consists of Amos Memon, Cathy Lucas, Justin Finch, Leon Beckenham, Simon Balthazar. (I know the picture has six people in it. All of the pictures have six people in it. I cannot find out who the sixth person is!!!) 

The name comes from the Charles Baudelaire novel 'La Fanfarlo.' I tried looking up what the name meant and all I got was an Urban Dictionary response of “someone who goes out and has a grand time dancing and is multitalented in the rave department, exploring the term rave to an extreme, cooler than a hipster is a surrealism way.” Whatever that means… I also got this song made by the band MAZES for a project they did called “Art Is Cheap,” but the real definition is still up in the air.
Anyways. Their debut album Reservoir was recorded in November of 2008 at the Tarquin Studios, in none other than the grand Connecticut, US of A. The album was released in February of 2009 and welcomed large amounts of appreciation from music lovers (like myself.) Enjoy.

De.con.struc.tion

I’m A Pilot

Luna

Hands

Ghosts

Ciao Ciao. xoxo

No comments: