Sunday, September 18, 2011

markets, parks, and a game of old maid


I know that you have all been worried because I have not updated my blog or checked my Facebook notifications for two or three days, but I am here to tell you not to stress. Remember how I told you that Netgear took a leave of absence? Well he hasn’t returned yet, so I have no Internet at my apartment. That is why I have been ignoring you and not telling you my daily situations. It has nothing to do with the fact that I do not miss you, because I do. I really do.

Now, on to more exciting business that needs attending: Friday, after cinema class, Joanna and I walked to this epically large park (for an Italian city. It is about the size of Sugarhouse Park in Salt Lake City) called Cascine. It is about a forty-five minute walk from our apartment, but completely worth it. We set out a blanket, read books, listened to music, people watched (laughing and “aww”ing over little kids and puppies,) had cheese and honey (that Joanna bought at the nearby “state fair” event,) and drank a little wine (that we got from this local place. You buy an empty bottle for fifty cents, and then you fill it up straight from a tap for two euro. You just bring the bottle back and they fill it up again for two euro. It is eco friendly and fun.) It was wonderful to get a little sun kissed and just relax in such a different environment. I say this because in Florence, there is no grass, no plants (except for cactus or fake flowerbeds in people’s windows) and all urban architecture. It is nice to enjoy a little change in landscape. We walked home and made a great pasta dinner. We inhaled it because we were so hungry.

Saturday came and we had to do the same thing. It was much hotter so we did not stay as long as we wanted, but it was much enjoyable. Rachel joined us this time too after she went to the train station to order tickets. The walk home was treacherous. It seemed longer than ever and we were sweating. When we reached the apartment, we all collapsed.

I am going to back track a bit. Before we went to the park yesterday. We went to this open aired market. It is tables and tables filled with fresh foods, jewelry, clothing, and books. Inside you can get fresh meats, cheese, and breads. Everything is so natural and inexpensive. For example I bought two pears for one euro. In the grocery store, it would have been a euro each. I got prosuito (that they literally cut from the cows thigh in front of me) and bread. Together they made a perfect sandwich.

Okay, no fast forward to about 10:00 p.m. on Saturday night. The three of us (Joanna, Rachel and myself) got dressed sexy (which isn’t hard for us to do, right?) and went out to Santa Croce. When I say this, I literally mean we went to the steps of the beautiful church of Santa Croce (Google it.) In Florence, people flock to places where they can sit and since drinking outside is legal, it becomes a natural gathering spot for friends. There were many people there, just hanging out, talking, causally drinking (they do not get wasted just to get wasted like in the States) and enjoying such a beautiful night. We sat in the center of the steps (the center of crowd, aiming to be the center of attention) and started to play this card game that Joanna had taught us. It is originally a drinking game called “asshole” (pardon my language,) but we did it with the alcohol. It is quite addicting, easy, and fun. People started to watch us curiously. You could tell they were interested what these three American girls were laughing at and enjoying so much. A brave soul in a green sweatshirt, grey sweatpants, and neon white Nike’s decided to ask us. We told him, he seemed excited, and so I invited him to play. Soon enough his two friends joined us. As a group of six, we played this for about an hour. Our new Nike wearing friend decided to show us a new game. He tried to explain it and the three of us were lost, but as soon as we started to play, we all realized it was “Old Maid.” This simple childhood game made us laugh so hard until near three in the morning. It was quite enjoyable. We walked home, happy with the successful night, and barely made it into bed where we all fell asleep in the next thirty minutes.

I woke up this morning to church bells ringing at eleven o clock. In Italy, Sunday’s are family relaxing days. Everything is closed and I mean, everything. We all decided that today we are going to relax, do our Italian homework, and just enjoy ourselves. Not go anywhere.

I am not sure, but based off of what I read on Facebook, I think I need to congratulate our Ute’s for winning against BYU. Yahoo! (I think we won because of my sister’s cheerleading make up- that of which I saw through a photograph.)

Have a wonderful day!
xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAA YOU WOULD ADD THAT LAST PART! that was the most depressing game of my life :( but AUDDD this blog is amazing! i felt like i was reading a book! totally bookmarking this baby. hahah i nearly died when i read the part of you drinking wine outside cus its "legal" haha oh you cute girl. can't wait to read more of your adventures! and hopefully you can kife some more of your secret internet long enough for us to Skype sometime :) love you!