Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I watched sweaty Italian's prepare for a George Michael's concert today in the piazza while eating a pear.

Ciao! Today was my second day of school, but I will start off by telling you about my first. (One comes before two, no matter what country you live in.)
            I only had one class on Monday and that was “Italian Language.” I was excited to start this course because I would like to know half of the statements I hear and read here.
            I did not have anything in the morning until 2:00 so I took a shower, tried to look nice, ate some breakfast, watched the neighbor’s, and then went on a large walk around the city. I decided that in order for me to become familiar with this city, one must walk around it daily. The more I get lost, the more I get found, which leads to the less of me getting lost. I did that and then went to class.
            Now an authentic Italian man named Nicola, that speaks little English, teaches Italian Language. He is a shorter man, nice style, dark Italian features, with a nervous smile. He had kind of an awkward round about way of teaching. For example, he would ask us to tell him something in Italian. Being our first class, I could not say anything. I pulled my “How do you say _ _ _ __?” line that is ever so sweetly, you know that one that captured Madame Colmar’s heart freshman year? I do not think it did the same for Nicola. He was funny and cute, but I know I am going to have a hard time grasping this language. I am also not very good with speaking up in class. I get all shy and well, when there are only two other students, you have to talk more than you want to. Joanna (which I discovered ever so embarrassingly does not spell her name with an H) has a cute accent already from being here before and knows a few words. Rachel speaks French, so she naturally sees the combinations between the words and the sounds. Then there is me, who cannot even speak English.
            Today I had Art History in the morning taught by the ever so sweet Linda. Oh my I just want to hug this woman and push her in a zip lock bag and take her home. She is like four feet tall (probably a little taller but you get a better image if I say that) and has the sweetest little voice. She doesn’t teach in English a lot and so she feels the need to act out the images that are clearly on the screen. She also does not know little words in English. For example the word: cubs. We were looking at a statue of a lioness and her cubs. She struggled so much and then finally gave up and called them “lion baby.” You want to correct her, or help her, but she is so cute and in this teaching groove that you cannot interrupt her. I have this class with Rachel, the history lover.  I think it will be good filled with lots of field trips and we do not have to buy a textbook.
            Photography is going to breezy and fun. Charles, my teacher, is exactly like Frank back at East High. Except for instead of being German, he is of course, Italian. It will be fun to play with film in such an inspiring surrounding. And you all know how much I love the darkroom. The smell of the chemicals (do not judge me) and the magic of your image developing is so great to me!! Ahh so much happiness.
            So that was my first two days of school. But I have to tell you about something else! Last night I was talking to this guy named Freddy on facebook. I will not go into extreme details, but I met Freddy at this party, didn’t really know him at all, stalked his facebook, and well I talked to him for a good few hours last night.
            He told me about why he chose his major and such… but as he was giving reasons he told me about how “there's like three major types of relationships I- it, I- you, and I –thou. "I- It" is seeing people as objects or really defining labels that makes it difficult to connect. So like a cashier at a grocery store, they're there just to charge you and check you out. Or a random person sitting in your class, you just go to the same school. Then you can introduce yourself and that's the beginning of the next phase "I-You", where you acknowledge them as a human being, but aren't quite comfortable and honest. This usually consists of small talk and simple interactions like that friend of a friend and things like that. The third is the best. It’s where you connect and trust and open up...and you engage in dialogue not just conversation. It has a huge range depending the relationship you define yourself having with a person. . .”             
            I really liked this, so that is why I shared it with you. I think it ties in with me being in a foreign country a lot. Am I just going to label everyone as an “Italian that won’t understand me so why should I try?” Or am I going to try and actually hit level three?  It was kind of motivating. I mean Freddy knows his shit. He was inspiring. (If you read this Freddy, please understand that “knows his shit” is a huge compliment in my blog language. It is like better than “he is the most amazing person on earth” or “he has the moves like jagger.” It is top notch.) His words were addicting and made me focus on how I treated people today. I really tried not to just label, but to get to know. I had to share that with you, because it changed my view of human interactions.
            You might just think I am weird, and this is okay. I feel like I have rambled on long enough today. So I will talk to you later.

xoxo

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Audrey! First of all I have to tell you that I am taking photography too this semester and I think the darkroom is so magic as well! I love developing things! haha Second, Freddy does know his shit. That is an awesome way to look at people. I am going to have to try it. :D