Wednesday, October 26, 2011

i feel like the lead heroine in a hollywood movie


"Pretty Girls" by Wale is playing on my ipod streaming the bouncing song through my ear buds hidden by the coral hood on my head. I have not been to the library for a while and sitting here now, I have noticed the change in crowd now that the weather has cooled and the light fades into night earlier. It is quite empty and the bodies that occupy the seats are studios, with legs twitching as they study for the big exam tomorrow. I like the calm serenity that the usual bustling terrace now inhabits. Sadly, this change in weather did not mean that the drinks dropped their prices, because I am very thirsty (but not parched enough to spend six euros on a soda.) 

This week in school has been very relaxed (i know it is only Wednesday.) The big break is next week. There is a slow paced (typical Italian) happy atmosphere in the studio. Although I have a midterm in each class this week, there is no stress. 


I mentioned before that I have had a lot of extra time to read. I feel like the lead heroine in a hollywood movie every night as I take a bath. The lights dimmed (just because I can) and my hair dolled up on my head to avoid water. Steam slithers off my exposed limbs into the chilled air as I intensely read Brett Easton Ellis's latest novel. (It is times like this where I lean my head back against the yellow tiles and sigh "this is the life.") The only difference would be in the movie my mascara would not be running down my recently washed face. I am sure hollywood doesn't want their main actress looking like a member of the band KISS after a bad breakup.


 I finished "Lunar Park" by Brett Easton Ellis last night in quick nervous furry. The novel is a horror, but addictivly written in the quick, sexual, tongue of Brett Easton Ellis (I just have to write him full name because I love the way it sounds.) It is a mix between fact and fantasy but is so artistically intertwined that I was left confused of what was real and what was fiction. I would suggest you read it. 

I started to read "Which Brings Me To You" by Steve Almond and Juliana Baggot. Joanna finished it and as she gave it to me stated "I think this was written for me." Instantly I knew it was a cute love story because she is constantly commenting on my "bleeding heart" sappiness. It is the exchange of letters between a boy and girl who met at a wedding. The letters aren't straight out flirtatious, but rather confessions because sometimes we just need to tell a stranger everything just so we feel better by letting it out. It is cute and I have even found myself laughing out loud. 

In Photography (black and white & digital) I GET to do a final project based off of a single idea. The collection at them end is twenty images that support the topic. Here are my two ideas... 

Body language is often stronger than words spoken by mouth. In a country that forces foreign tongue to my ears, I have begun to rely on the swift movement of hands and eye contact as the main sources of understanding conversation. The beauty of posture, the uniqueness of style, and the anonymous feeling of being faceless, describes the character of people without small talk or exchange of ideas. Therefore I would like to pursue my final project in digital film photography as “Headless Portraits,” documenting the people of Firenze, Italy but leaving out the facial features in order to study my subjects in a different, more abstract, light.

In Salt Lake City street artists spray cans of multi colored paints on the walls in attempt of artistic lettering and symbols. When I arrived in Florence I was, in no way, surprised or interested in the amounts of graffiti littering the walls. I was, however, intrigued by the posters glued hastily over one another. For my final in black and white film photography, I am going to capture the plastered art these advertisements and messages expressed. But even this is too simple for me. I want to find something to set my documentation apart from the average tourist who snaps a shot at them while walking by. I was thinking of making a little stick figure that I put in each shot, or maybe placing a photograph of myself hidden in the fold of the torn edges, or making sentences with the bolded words from multiple posters. I am determined to find this niche after a few rolls of film. 

Any suggestions or comments? I am up for both negative and positive critiques. 

Happy Hump day. Goodnight! 

xoxo

No comments: