Wednesday, October 5, 2011

you dipped your toe in and now you are going for a swim.


The passed two days I have been really happy.

I do not know why. I really do not think there is a true reason. It just has been a good last few days. I have laughed a lot, taken hundreds of photographs, and haven’t been able to stop smiling.

You know that scene in “500 Days of Summer” where Tom just got with Summer and the morning after he is skipping, smiling, and prancing through the streets? And the fountains are going higher than usual (along with his confidence) and it just feels like the whole world is smiling and happy with their lives? That is what I felt like walking through Santa Croce today.

It is a good feeling.

I have begun this project with Joanna. Her artistic medium is etching, a form of printmaking, and I have teamed up with her to document the process in photographs because it is a very difficult art to describe. We both are hoping to express the beauty of this “antique” technique. Charles also has clung to the idea and wants me to create a book for him to have by the end of the semester. When we told him what we were doing, he exploded with ideas. “You dipped your toe in and now you are going for a swim” was Charles’s statement after mentioning to me to use InDesign to create his “how to etch” book. I get to go to her etching class instead of having the morning off two days a week, but I do not think of it as a burden. I have only documented one day and I am already consumed. Although it is her printmaking project, I feel so apart of it because I have been with her every step so far (and those to come) and I have discussed her always-changing idea of what she wants her piece to be.  As an artist myself, I love to get inside the creative process and follow the details it takes in order to come out with a final masterpiece.

During this, I also have been taking a few shots of us playing in the studio. When I say playing, I mean artistically learning and exploring. Here are some photographs from Monday’s “adventure”:


Joanna. 


Rachel with her tester print. 

Joanna's first etching print. Each face is an individual print, I put them together on Photoshop. 


I am really thankful to have the opportunity to live in this beautiful city. I am proud of myself for having the courage to get out and do this.  I am sure there are many people who say they want to go and live their dream, travel to another country, get lost in it’s culture and streets, and work hard in developing a deeper knowledge of their passion every single day- that haven’t had the courage and the support to do it.

I still cannot believe I am here.

Thank you Mom and Dad for letting me, supporting (in more ways than one) me and making personal sacrifices in order for me to study in Florence. I miss and love you. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are lucky!

Mrs. Rotermund said...

Keep making each day extraordinary lucky girl! I too am proud of you! Love and miss you so much! xoxo