Thursday, January 20, 2011

Introducing: The Chronicles of the Sketchily Challenged

It is no new news that I want to be photographer and it's not new that I am trying to get into art schools, but you probably did not know that I lack the pure talent needed to sketch. 

I am sketchily challenged. 

I never have had real formal drawing (unless you count advance art in middle school... i don't.) I really want to go to California College of the Arts. Yes, they do accept photographers that are sketchily challenged, ones who lack the drawing skills, and even those who don't even know what the word sketching is- but the chances are slim that they get in.

 I want to up my chances of them loving me (cross my fingers) so I am taking on the challenge of advancing my skills in the drawing and more visual hands, graphite, pencil using, smudging, artistic medium of sketching. 

This is going to be a huge adventure. Treacherous. Even dangerous. Possibly deadly. And above all frustratingly fun!

 I want you to be apart of it.

 I want you to be there when i crumble up my paper and scream to the wall, I want you to celebrate when I finally get it right and sketch like a true.. artist. (cross my fingers.) Anyways, getting to the point, this is the beginning of: 

The Chronicles of the Sketchily Challenged

Now let me set the scene. My artistic working space for the sketchily challenged is down in the freezing ice box of the basement. The drop in temperature does nothing but inspire my little fingers to sketch more to keep them from freezing. It's delightful. I have a whole three fourths of a wooden table to myself and all the supplies I could ever want (except for a penciling smudger which I noticed that I needed today. But that really doesn't matter in the scheme of things.) 


This is my art space. Isn't is just delightful? I have a perfect view of dead grass with a little snow on it right outside my window. 


Here is the same work space after the sun has gone down. This is when I called it quits for the day. Please notice the christmas mug that once had hot chocolate and the crumbled up pieces of paper that had some sketching on it, that i failed at, got mad, crumbled them up, and threw them at the wall imagining it was the creator of sketching's head. . . three times.  Also take note of the rubber cement that was not used in my sketching experience, but was in fact there for me to look at and sniff when I was feeling drowsy. It really gave me a boost in the ol' noggin. (Just kidding. I promise, I am not a glue sniffer. (or the more precise word would be a huffer) It really is just there because I bought it with my rest of my supplies.) Also, please notice my beautiful pencils. 


This is a close up of my beautiful pencils. See one is missing, because I was using it, while I was trying to sketch something decent. (I say something decent because I sketch all the time, but sketches of your name, hearts, and swirls will not get you into art school folks.) 


This is an artistic shot of my eraser and a blurred picture of my (hopefully is what Tommie was thinking of when he gave me this assignment) apple. I blurred it to make it look more spectacular than I think it really is. Maybe I will just have to send a pair of blurred glasses with my portfolio so all my art with look more spectacular than it really is. 


And finally, this is the artist, (also know as me) getting attacked by the pencil. She is terrified and exhilaratingly excited for what this pencil can do. She knows it will probably whoop her ass, but in the end bring great things is she succeeds. 

And that my friends is day one... Stay tuned for more adventures of The Chronicles of the Sketchily Challenged. Goodnight. xoxo 

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I love you! And I believe that you can be the best sketcher there ever was! I will be rootin for you through it all! :)